Ava Grace Lambert is finally here!
I was scheduled to be induced on Monday, September 20th (6 years and 6 months to the day I had my first baby girl). I was dilated to a 4 and the doctor broke my water at 8:45 am. Before the doctor left I told him and the nurse that I have my babies fast. The doctor told the nurse to keep him updated and he left the room. I had my epidural right away. The nurse checked me around 10:20 and I was dilated to a 6. She did a few things, left the room and said she would be back at 11:00 to check me again. I was thinking the entire time that 11:00 seemed like a long time to wait. The nurse had turned down the baby's heartbeat monitor before she left the room and I was laying on my side waiting for 11:00 to come around. My epidural had kicked in and I was relaxed and resting and wasn't feeling any pain from the contractions.
Everything that happened next was a blur, so I will tell Rick's side of the story first. Rick was sitting on the couch reading when he heard a sound that might be a baby whimper, then he heard a gushing of water (that is how he describes it), then he hears another little baby noise. This is when he starts to realize that the noise was coming from OUR room and not another baby in another room. He jumps up and pulls back the sheet to see the WHOLE baby laying on the bed. He thought that maybe the head had somehow come out and that is why he heard the noises. He was so shocked that he just started yelling for the nurses and they got there before he could even pick up the baby.
I remember hearing a strange gurgling sound (what Rick called a gushing of water sound) in the room. I was just about to ask Rick what he was doing, when he was up off the couch pulling the sheet back from my bed and running out of the room. I then hear him yelling, "there is a baby in here". I start panicking and crying thinking of the worst case scenario. In seconds 5 nurses come running into our room and start taking care of the baby and hand her off to the nursery. I am still panicking thinking about what just happened and how this is not how I pictured giving birth to my baby. Rick keeps assuring me that Ava is okay, she is breathing and is healthy. Within minutes my doctor comes running into the room, upset about the birth as well. As soon as he checks and makes sure everything is fine with the baby and with me he is able to calm down. But was still obviously upset about how everything turned out and came back later in the day to talk to us.
The nurses had to go back to the charts to see when Ava was actually born. According to the charts she was born at 10:51 a.m. and weighed in at 7 pounds 10 ounces. She didn't want to wait any longer and she was ready to come into this world by herself. We were blessed and lucky that there weren't any major complications. She is such a sweet, sleepy, chubby cheeked baby, and we just LOVE her!
7 comments:
I am in shock...how does that even happen without you pushing? Crazy!! What a great story though. She is absolutely beautiful you guys! You're four for four!!!
Such a sweet little girl -- such a beautiful mommy -- such a calm and relaxed daddy -- such a miracle! So glad I get to be the grandma!
That's so crazy! We're glad to know everyone is doing well. Congratulations!
Nothing like an easy birth! Can't wait to meet her. Congratulations!
I'm glad to have a couple extra details to share with everyone. Seriously, I have been sharing your story with everyone because it is so crazy! She is absolutely gorgeous. What a cute picture. I hope everything is going okay for you. Can't wait to talk to you soon.
That is the craziest birth story I have ever heard! I can't believe everything is OK and that she was totally fine. Wow! She is such a doll! How do you get your kids to have so much hair when they're born? Mine are so bald!! And if you could also teach me how to have a baby in 2 hrs. that would be great too. :) I'm so excited to see her this weekend (incase you didn't know) and I'm so grateful everything went ok. We love you guys and MISSED you in St. George!!!
Wow! This is one story I haven't heard before. It will always be a fun one to tell! Glad that mother and baby are doing well.
Post a Comment